Board Roster & Committees
|Member||Appointed By||Term Expiration|
|Anita Judd - Jenkins||Cowley County Commission||12-31-22|
|Dared Price, PharmD||Winfield City Commission||12-31-22|
|Rick Shaffer||USD #462 Board of Education||12-31-22|
|K.C. Colvin – BOH Chairperson||USD #471 Board of Education||12-31-23|
|Mary Benton, BOH Vice-Chair||Arkansas City Commission||12-31-23|
|John Seitz, DDS||Cowley County Commission (Practicing DDS in Cowley Co.)||12-31-23|
|Ed Trimmer||Cowley County Commission||12-31-24|
|Open Pending Appt||Cowley County Commission (Practicing MD in Cowley Co.)||12-31-24|
|Sandra Jirak, BSN RN||Cowley County Commission ||12-31-24|
Board of Health Meetings
The Joint City-Cowley County Board of Health holds regular meetings the first Tuesday of each month unless impacted by a Holiday. The meetings are held at 6:00 PM in the meeting room of the Health Department Offices on a rotating basis in either Arkansas City or Winfield. Any individual that would like to attend a meeting may do so – kindly contact the Health Department Administrator (620-221-1430) at least 7 day prior to the meeting date to verify meeting date, time and location and to have any issue placed upon the meeting agenda. – Thank you!
|Meeting Date|| Office Location|
|January 4, 2022|| Winfield Office|
|February 8, 2022|| Arkansas City Office|
|March 8, 2022||Winfield Office|
|April 5, 2022||Arkansas City Office|
|May 3, 2022||Winfield Office|
|June 7, 2022||Arkansas City Office|
|July 5, 2022||Winfield Office|
|August 2, 2022||Arkansas City Office|
|September 6, 2022||Winfield Office|
|October 4, 2022||Arkansas City Office|
|November 8, 2022||Winfield Office|
|December 6, 2022||Arkansas City Office|
BOH Meetings & Agendas
Meeting Agendas and Approved Copies of Minutes of Regular Meetings are available upon request. Kindly contact the Health Department Administrator at email@example.com and the information will be made available to you. Please note in order to save server file storage capacity we will not link to files through this page. Meeting dates and locations are subject to change at the direction of the Board of Health. Thank you.
For a calendar of Board of Health Meetings, both past and future, please click HERE.
Annual Report of Activities
2021 Annual Report:
Health Department By-Laws
The Joint Resolution as amended October 20, 1992 by the City of Arkansas City, the City of Winfield and Cowley County shall be its constitution.
ARTICLE I – NAME:
The official name of the organization shall be the City-Cowley County Board of Health.
ARTICLE II – SERVICE AREA:
Cowley County, Kansas
ARTICLE III – PURPOSE AND FUNCTION:
The purpose of the Board is to establish, promote, and evaluate the City-Cowley County Health Department. Its functions shall be as follows:
- To adopt, amend, and repeal rules, regulations, and bylaws governing its procedure and activities.
- All powers, duties and limitations as are now or hereafter may be provided by law for the creation and conduct of the Board of Health as now conferred by law upon any local municipal or county board of health.
- The Board of Health shall have the exclusive control of the expenditures of all money paid to the credit of its treasurer for health and sanitation purposes, and the treasurer shall receive and pay all the money under the control of said board as ordered by it.
- The Board of Health during the month of January of each year shall file with the governing bodies of the cities and county a report of its activities and a statement of all receipts and expenditures during the preceding year. On or before December 1st of each year in which the above terms expire, the original appointment body shall, in accordance with the above procedure, make appointments to fill the expired terms and in the event of the resignation or death of any member of the board, his/her position shall be filled by the original appointing body. Members appointed to the City-Cowley County Board of Health shall serve without compensation and for a three year term, except in the event of the resignation, death or for any other reason a successor shall be appointed to complete the term of the member who for any such reason is unable to complete his/her term.
ARTICLE IV – APPOINTIVE MEMBERS
The City-Cowley County Board of Health shall consist of nine members and shall be selected as follows:
- Three members from the Board of County Commissioners or otherwise as may be deemed proper by said board shall be appointed by the Board of Cowley Commissioners of Cowley County.
- The Board of Commissioners of the City of Arkansas City shall appoint one member from its body or otherwise, as it may deem proper.
- The Board of Commissioners of the City of Winfield shall appoint one member from its body or otherwise, as it may deem proper.
- The Board of Education of Unified School District #462 shall appoint one member from its body or otherwise, as it may deem proper.
- The Board of Education of Unified School District #471 shall appoint one member from its body or otherwise, as it may deem proper.
- From a list containing the names of all physicians licensed under the laws of the State of Kansas, who are residing and practicing in Cowley County, the Board of Commissioners of Cowley County shall appoint one member.
- From a list containing the names of all dentists licensed under the laws of the State of Kansas, who are residing and practicing in Cowley County, the Board of County Commissioners of Cowley County shall appoint one member.
ARTICLE V – OFFICERS (Duties, nomination and election):
- Elected officers shall consist of a president, vice-president, and secretary-treasurer. All officers with the exception of the secretary-treasurer, shall be elected from the board. The Health Officer, Director of the City-Cowley County Health Department, shall serve by virtue of his/her office as secretary-treasurer of the board, but shall hold no power to vote. All officers shall be elected for a term of one year and such election shall be held during the first board meeting of each calendar year. The Health Officer shall give bond to be approved by the governing bodies of the cities and county for the safe keeping and due disbursements of all funds that may come into his/her hands.
- Duties: It shall be the duty of the president to preside at all meetings which he is able to attend and to serve on the executive board. It shall be the duty of the vice- president to preside at such meetings as the president is unable to attend and to serve on the executive board. It shall be the duty of the secretary-treasurer to keep and maintain the minutes of all meetings of the board and executive board and to furnish copies to each board member. The treasurer shall keep accounts of all monies received and disbursed and shall submit a monthly financial report. The treasurer will be furnished with bond in the amount of $75,000.00 which may be increased as yearly accounts increase with approval of the board.
ARTICLE VI – BUDGET AND EXPENDITURES:
The City-Cowley County Board of Health shall prepare a proposed budget estimating the amount of funds necessary to carry on public health activities, which budget shall be submitted to the governing bodies of the cities and county for approval. When the proposed budget is approved by the governing bodies of the city and county, the funds necessary to meet the necessary expenditures shall be provided for by the City of Arkansas City, the City of Winfield, and the County of Cowley in such proportions as shall be fixed by agreement between the governing bodies after taking into consideration the population of each and other factors which would necessarily increase or diminish the costs of administration in the absence of any agreement to establish such board of health. All money provided for health and sanitation purposes by the contracting municipality shall, when collected, be paid over to the treasurer of said board in an amount not exceeding that budgeted by the municipality for such purposes. The Board of Health shall have exclusive control over the expenditures of all monies paid to the credit of its treasurer for health and sanitation purposes, and the treasurer shall receive and pay out all the monies under the control of said board as awarded by it.
ARTICLE VII – MEETINGS:
- Regular meetings shall be held every month. Date, time, place, and agenda will be set by the President with consultation with the Administrator. Board members will be notified at least three (3) working days prior to meeting date.
- Special meetings may be called by the president or vice-president. When a special meeting is called every member of the board will be notified at least three (3) days in advance of the date set
- Two or more board members, may call a special meeting of the board upon request to the president or vice-president.
- In case of an emergency, the executive board may call a meeting.
- The executive board will consist of the president, vice-president, and secretary-treasurer of the Board of Health. No decisions will be made in regard to general policy or procedures, any action taken will be submitted to the board for approval.
- Annual meetings shall be the second meeting of each calendar year and at this
time the director shall present his/her annual report of services and the annual financial report.
- Number of members required for a quorum will be a simple majority.
- Absenteeism: To assure that the board will have an active membership, absenteeism shall be kept to a minimum. If a member has conflicting interests he/she shall tender his resignation and ask his/her appointing authority for relief. If a member should miss three consecutive meetings, his/her appointing authority
ARTICLE VII – COMMITTEES:
The president, on his own initiative or at the suggestion of the board, may appoint special or standing committees when it is considered that such committees will be an aid to the board.
ARTICLE VIII – MEETING CONDUCT:
The conduct of all board and committee meetings shall be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order, except as otherwise provided herein.
ARTICLE IX – OPEN MEETINGS:
That KSA 75-4317a, 75-4318, 75-4319, and 75-4320 be adopted into the Board of Health bylaws defining open meetings.