Cowley County Emergency Communications Mission Statement:
Cowley County Emergency Communications serves as a vital link between the citizens and public safety agencies for Cowley County. When receiving and processing 9-1-1 emergency and non-emergency calls, our mission is to dispatch Emergency Services in a prompt, efficient, courteous and professional manner. With continued education and a commitment to excellence, we help save lives, protect property, and assist the public in their time of need. As Communication Officers, we will proudly make Cowley County a safer community in which to live, work, and visit.
Records requests for audio and dispatch logs should be submitted to the agency responsible for responding and creating an incident report. All records related to calls are property of the responding agencies. Cowley County Emergency Communications will retrieve and forward the requests records to the responsible agency for dissemination.
How do I speak to someone at a police department or the sheriff's office about records?
- You can contact the agency records custodians at the following numbers:
- Arkansas City Police Department (620) 441-6601
- Winfield Police Department (620) 221-5556
- Cowley County Sheriff's Office (620) 221-5444 / (620) 441-4555
Frequently Asked Questions about 911
When should I call 911?
- Call 911 when a person, animal, or property has been harmed or is at risk of being harmed.
- Call 911 for a medical emergency
- Call 911 if you see or suspect a fire that could harm someone or cause property damage.
- Call 911 if there is a crime in progress
Can I call 911 from any phone?
- You can call 911 from a cell phone or a land line phone.
- A cell phone without service will still call 911.
What should I expect if I call 911?
- You will need to know your location or the address you are at.
- Answer the questions as the dispatcher asks them, do not try telling long drawn out stories.
- Stay calm and do not yell at the dispatcher. Even though they are asking a lot of questions, other dispatchers will already have emergency units responding, and you answering the questions will not slow down response.
Why do 911 dispatchers ask so many questions?
- Dispatchers will question you about the call so they can provide the emergency responders with the most accurate information to assist them in being prepared when they arrive.
What should I do if I accidentally call 911?
- Do not hang up. Stay on the phone until the dispatcher speaks to you. Advise them you accidentally dialed 911.
- If you hang up before the dispatcher answers, you will get a call back to verify there was no emergency.
How do I contact 911 if I am deaf or hard of hearing?
- We can communicate with traditional TTY systems.
- Our system allows callers to text via a cell phone.