General Information
Phone Numbers
620-221-0470 620-221-5447
Emergencies: Dial 911
321 East 10th Avenue

Emergency Services

Emergency Services Mission Statement: To enhance the quality of life of every person in Cowley County, Kansas, by receiving and processing 9-1-1 emergency calls and non-emergency calls, by dispatching Law Enforcement, Fire and Emergency Medical Service units, in a prompt, efficient, courteous and professional manner, by reducing the impacts of disasters through the mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery phases of emergency management, to help save lives, protect property, and assist the public; making Cowley County a safer community in which to live, work and visit.

Description of Services

Cowley County Emergency Services serves as a vital link between the citizens and public safety agencies for Cowley County.

Emergency Communications receives and processes 9-1-1 emergency and non-emergency calls and provides dispatching for Emergency Medical, Fire Department, and Law Enforcement agencies working within Cowley County.

Emergency Management works with community partners, government agencies, and the public to prepare, respond, and recover from disasters that impact Cowley County.

With continued education and a commitment to excellence, we help save lives, protect property, and assist the public in their time of need. Our Emergency Communications and Emergency Management staff will proudly make Cowley County a safer community in which to live, work, and visit.

Cowley Alerts - Emergency notifications

Cowley County uses Cowley Alerts, a mass notification system, to disseminate emergency messages to the public.

Messages may include; severe weather, critical incidents that impact life, missing persons, law enforcement activity, and many more.

Residents of Cowley County can register for emergency notifications by creating a user profile. Sign up here

Cowley Alerts is also used to send emergency messages to attendees at events. For event specific sign up, a code and number will be available for subscribers to text to opt-in to messages related to the event.

For law enforcement administration and records

To speak to someone in administration or records at the Arkansas City Police Department, Winfield Police Department or the Cowley County Sheriff's Office, please use the numbers listed below.

  • Arkansas City Police Department (620) 441-6601
  • Winfield Police Department (620) 221-5556
  • Cowley County Sheriff's Office (620) 221-5444 / (620) 441-4555

Frequently Asked Questions about 911

When should I call 911?

  • Call 911 when a person, animal, or property has been harmed or is at risk of being harmed.
  • Call 911 for a medical emergency
  • Call 911 if you see or suspect a fire that could harm someone or cause property damage.
  • Call 911 if there is a crime in progress

Can I call 911 from any phone?

  • You can call 911 from a cell phone or a land line phone.
  • A cell phone without service will still call 911.

What should I expect if I call 911?

  • You will need to know your location or the address you are at.
  • Answer the questions as the dispatcher asks them, do not try telling long drawn out stories.
  • Stay calm and do not yell at the dispatcher. Even though they are asking a lot of questions, other dispatchers will already have emergency units responding, and you answering the questions will not slow down response.

Why do 911 dispatchers ask so many questions?

  • Dispatchers will question you about the call so they can provide the emergency responders with the most accurate information to assist them in being prepared when they arrive.

What should I do if I accidentally call 911?

  • Do not hang up. Stay on the phone until the dispatcher speaks to you. Advise them you accidentally dialed 911.
  • If you hang up before the dispatcher answers, you will get a call back to verify there was no emergency.

How do I contact 911 if I am deaf or hard of hearing?

  • We can communicate with traditional TTY systems.
  • Our system allows callers to text via a cell phone.

Control Burns

In June of 2016, Cowley County Commissioners adopted and approved  Resolution No 2016-03 Regulating open burning. This resolution outlined procedures that are to be followed regarding open burning within the boundaries of Cowley County. 

The Fire Chief, or their designee, will set the burn status level for their respective fire district and notify CCEC of their status. The following status levels apply to controlled burns.

Status 1: All burning allowed. Contact CCEC for a burn permit number.

Status 2: Restricted burning. Conditions may be dangerous to burn. The district Fire Chief, or their designee, will have to approve burning. Any person wishing to burn during status 2 should contact their districts fire department for guidance.

Status 3: No burning allowed. Conditions are considered high risk of fire. No burn permits will be issued for status 3 districts.

Only agricultural burning allowed during the month of April

Per K.A.R. 28-19-645a burning during the month of April is restricted to agricultural burning only. 

A person shall not cause or permit open burning operations of any waste, including vegetation and wood waste, structures, or any other materials on any premises during the month of April in Butler, Chase, Chautauqua, Cowley, Elk, Geary, Greenwood, Johnson, Lyon, Marion, Morris, Pottawatomie, Riley, Sedgwick, Wabaunsee, and Wyandotte counties.