General Information
County Clerk
Karen Madison
Deputy County Clerk
Kayla Cartlidge
Deputy County Clerk
Kelli Blanton
Phone Numbers
Winfield: 620-221-5494 Arkansas City: 620-441-4594
Emergencies: Dial 911
321 E. 10th Ave

Monday - Friday
8:00am-12:00pm 1:00pm-5:00pm

Clerk FAQ

No answers matched your search
How do I file for a Homestead or Safe Senior tax refund?

The Cowley County Clerk's office will be happy to help you file for these tax refunds by appointment.  If you were a resident of Kansas for the entire year AND if you meet one of the following requirements, you may be eligible for a Homestead tax refund:

  • you are over age 55 as of January 1 of the year you are filing for;
  • were permanently disabled or blind by Social Security for the entire year you are filing for;
  • had dependent children under age 18 living with you for the year you are filing for.

Your total household income must not exceed $36,600 for a Homestead refund. Another requirement for a Homestead refund is that you owned and lived in a home that was on the tax rolls for the entire filing year.
In order to qualify for a Safe Senior Tax Refund, you must meet all of the following requirements:
owned and lived in a home that was on the tax rolls the entire year you are filing for;

  • age 65 years or older for all of the year you are filing for;
  • household income must not exceed $20,900;
  • must not be delinquent on property taxes.

Your claim for a Homestead or Safe Senior tax refund must be filed by the deadline of April 15 of each year.  Call County Clerk’s Office at 620-221-5494 to schedule an appointment.

How do I get a marriage license?

You need to talk to the Clerk of the District Court at (620) 221-5470. This is not a function of the Cowley County Clerk's Office.

How do I get a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate?

Birth certificate applications are not available in the Clerk’s Office. You need to contact the Kansas Department of Vital Statistics at (785) 296-1400 or download the forms.  Web site:

How do I register a boat?

The County Clerk's Office no longer processes boat registrations. For additional information contact the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks at (316) 683-8069 or visit their web site

How do I get a fishing license?

Anyone over 16 years of age needs to obtain a Kansas fishing license. Kansans over 75 are no longer required to obtain a fishing license. For a list of locations in Cowley County to purchase visit the License and Permits section of the Clerk's Page.

How do I get a hunting license?

Those born after July 1, 1957 must attend a Hunter Safety course provided by the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks, (316) 683-8069.

For a list of locations in Cowley County to purchase a license visit the Licenses and Permits section of the Clerk's Page.

What is the intangible tax?

Intangible taxes are a tax on interest and dividends that are filed with your Kansas Income Tax, Form 200. The information is forwarded to the county for taxing purposes. Cowley County has a .75% rate, while cities and townships can have an additional rate of up to 2.25%. Some cities and townships do not tax intangibles, while some have the maximum rate.
Taxpayers have the option of paying intangible taxes in two halves. The first half is due by December 20th and the second half is due by May 10th. If the first half intangible taxes are not paid by December 20th the taxes become due in full.

I just started a new business, what do I need to do?

There may be special permits or licenses necessary for your business. In general, all businesses should check the zoning in their area. Each city has their own requirements. There is no zoning in Cowley County. In addition, it is important to file a personal property rendition with the County Appraiser's office for all business related property. Sales tax questions should be directed to the Kansas Department of Revenue 1-877-526-7738.