General Information
Phone Numbers
Emergencies: Dial 911
321 East 10th Avenue

Emergency Communications

Since its creation in 2013, Cowley County Emergency Communications (CCEC) has been the exclusive 911 dispatch center serving all of Cowley County and the communities located within its boundaries.

In addition to processing all 911 calls and non-emergency calls for service within Cowley County, CCEC provides dispatch services for five law enforcement agencies, two full time fire/ambulance departments, and five rural fire departments.

With a team of fourteen trained communications officers, the emergency communications center is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

CCEC processes an average of 70,000 phone calls  annually.

Cowley County Emergency Communications Mission Statement:
Cowley County Emergency Communications serves as a vital link between the citizens and public safety agencies for Cowley County. When receiving and processing 9-1-1 emergency and non-emergency calls, our mission is to dispatch Emergency Services in a prompt, efficient, courteous and professional manner. With continued education and a commitment to excellence, we help save lives, protect property, and assist the public in their time of need. As Communication Officers, we will proudly make Cowley County a safer community in which to live, work, and visit.

For law enforcement administration and records

To speak to someone in administration or records at the Arkansas City Police Department, Winfield Police Department or the Cowley County Sheriff's Office, please use the numbers listed below.

  • Arkansas City Police Department (620) 441-6601
  • Winfield Police Department (620) 221-5556
  • Cowley County Sheriff's Office (620) 221-5444 / (620) 441-4555

Frequently Asked Questions about 911

When should I call 911?

  • Call 911 when a person, animal, or property has been harmed or is at risk of being harmed.
  • Call 911 for a medical emergency
  • Call 911 if you see or suspect a fire that could harm someone or cause property damage.
  • Call 911 if there is a crime in progress

Can I call 911 from any phone?

  • You can call 911 from a cell phone or a land line phone.
  • A cell phone without service will still call 911.

What should I expect if I call 911?

  • You will need to know your location or the address you are at.
  • Answer the questions as the dispatcher asks them, do not try telling long drawn out stories.
  • Stay calm and do not yell at the dispatcher. Even though they are asking a lot of questions, other dispatchers will already have emergency units responding, and you answering the questions will not slow down response.

Why do 911 dispatchers ask so many questions?

  • Dispatchers will question you about the call so they can provide the emergency responders with the most accurate information to assist them in being prepared when they arrive.

What should I do if I accidentally call 911?

  • Do not hang up. Stay on the phone until the dispatcher speaks to you. Advise them you accidentally dialed 911.
  • If you hang up before the dispatcher answers, you will get a call back to verify there was no emergency.

How do I contact 911 if I am deaf or hard of hearing?

  • We can communicate with traditional TTY systems.
  • Our system allows callers to text via a cell phone.

Control Burns

In June of 2016, Cowley County Commissioners adopted and approved  Resolution No 2016-03 Regulating open burning. This resolution outlined procedures that are to be followed regarding open burning within the boundaries of Cowley County. 

The Fire Chief, or their designee, will set the burn status level for their respective fire district and notify CCEC of their status. The following status levels apply to controlled burns.

Status 1: All burning allowed. Contact CCEC for a burn permit number.

Status 2: Restricted burning. Conditions may be dangerous to burn. The district Fire Chief, or their designee, will have to approve burning. Any person wishing to burn during status 2 should contact their districts fire department for guidance.

Status 3: No burning allowed. Conditions are considered high risk of fire. No burn permits will be issued for status 3 districts.

Only agricultural burning allowed during the month of April

Per K.A.R. 28-19-645a burning during the month of April is restricted to agricultural burning only. 

A person shall not cause or permit open burning operations of any waste, including vegetation and wood waste, structures, or any other materials on any premises during the month of April in Butler, Chase, Chautauqua, Cowley, Elk, Geary, Greenwood, Johnson, Lyon, Marion, Morris, Pottawatomie, Riley, Sedgwick, Wabaunsee, and Wyandotte counties.

wheat field image