Source: United States Census Bureau
Contact: City of Cambridge (620) 467-2201
FUN FACT: “The Count” is the name of the mural on the side of the former Stockman’s Cafe
The quiet ranching community of Cambridge is a peaceful place to raise a family.
It may be small in population, but is an active, family-based community. Neighborhood block parties, cookouts and other family events are commonplace. Church and senior citizens organizations sponsor many of the plentiful events and activities in the community.
This tightly knit community stays connected and works together to make Cambridge a delightful place to live and raise a family.
Historical buildings such as the bank building and former service station and Masonic meeting hall built in 1931, flank the downtown and are constructed of local limestone. Another fun example is the old public limestone toilets alongside the highway.
Like its limestone buildings, the Cambridge community and its families
Cambridge is located on US 160 highway, in the northeastern part of Cowley County. The town is located on a beautiful site in the Flint Hills, bordered by Cedar Creek. The paved county road leading north past the former school turns into a scenic drive, eventually ending in Butler County.
Cambridge current school system, Central USD 462, home of the Central Raiders, combines the students of Cambridge, Burden, Atlanta and Grenola into one cohesive unit, and is located about five miles away in Burden.
View the beautiful, historical downtown buildings constructed of local limestone. The old bank building on the south side is rumored to have been robbed in by the infamous gangster “Pretty Boy Floyd”. The wood plank sidewalk on the west side of the bank building is permanently marked with local ranch brands. Local brands can also be seen on the interior walls of the Stockman Café building.
Look up at the east side of the north building, still affectionately known as the Stockman Café, though no longer in operation, and see the linked chain insignia and the small old bell; remnants of the days when the Independent Order of the Odd Fellows met on the second floor of the building. This widely used symbol of the Odd Fellows have become known as “The Three Link Fraternity”. This symbol is also often seen on old headstones.
The three links symbolize the chain that binds members together and the belief that communities, townships, counties and nations are strongest when joined together. In fact, the members of the Odd Fellows have been said to band together to help the poor have decent burials.
The mural “The Count” can be viewed on the east side of the Stockman building, and the old public limestone restrooms still stand to the east of the building.
While in the area, be sure to seek out the three stone arch bridge; Fromm, Neer and Fox located north of Cambridge, east of Cowley 7. Click here for a Map with Directions to the 18 stone arch bridges scattered across the county. 9 barn quilts can also be seen within Cambridge, and on the back roads of the county too. Click the link below for a map of the 100+ barn quilts in the area and entire Cowley County.
Cambridge Log Cabin
Cambridge Log Cabin is located 3 miles north of Cambridge along Cowley 7. Open daily at no charge, a reconstructed version of the log cabin that stood on the same land for generations can be enjoyed by the public. Be sure to read the catchy signs along the roadside leading you to your destination.
Originally constructed in 1872, Doctor Wilkins and his family, including his brother Henry, lived in the cabin for several years as the doctor administered to the sick people in the area. The original 14 by 20 foot log cabin was constructed in three days by Henry and the Dock, as he was nick-named. Using a cross cut saw, an ax and logs from local trees to construct the dwelling, the pair then filled the cracks with a clay and mud mixture to fill the space between the logs.
In later years the walls were lathed and plastered and an extra 12 by 16 foot room was added. The original foundation can still be seen at the cabin site. Also at the cabin site is the dugout used as a cellar but also served as living quarters for the family as the cabin was being constructed, according to local story.
In 2014, local residents reconstructed the cabin as it would have appeared in the 1800’s. The cabin is open to the public. Inside the cabin is information on the history of the structure and a guest book for visitors to sign.
While in eastern Cowley County there are plenty of things to see and do.
The most recent addition opened in 2015. Local residents constructed Thee Chapel from a former oil field house and later a fishing cabin, that was moved to its present location. Thee Chapel was created to an atmosphere of simplicity and reverence of the 1910 era. The pews date back to the era as well as the steeple from a 1900 church in Mulvane.
Open to the public from dawn to dusk.
606 Maple, Cambridge
619 Pearl, Cambridge
Grouse Creek Outfitters
16849 251st Rd., Cambridge
Located 6 miles southwest of Cambridge, this 5 bedroom lodge is perfect for any country getaway. Great for hunters, family vacation, weddings or any other escape from reality! Guided deer hunts available.
City of Cambridge
PO Box 39
Cambridge, KS 67023
|Cambridge Public Officials|
|Meetings are the 2nd Monday, 7:00 pm|